Barratt Developments is the UK's largest house builder by volume. Last year we built 17,579 homes across England, Scotland and Wales, supported more than 45,000 jobs and invested close to £437 million into local communities through affordable housing, infrastructure and community facilities.
We are absolutely committed to building the homes the country needs – we have increased our housing output by more than 50% in the last five years – but we are also committed to Building Excellence, leading the industry both in the quality of the homes and communities we build, and the sustainability of our business.
Barratt aims to be the leading national sustainable house builder and to do only good, instead of simply less harm. We consider sustainability across all our business activities and will partner with organisations that can help our business to deliver environmental, social and economic benefits to customers, local communities, our supply chain and sub-contractors. For Barratt, this means:
- Keeping People Safe, by maintaining the highest standards of health and safety.
- Operating Efficiently, by reducing waste, energy consumption, materials use and emissions. Barratt is committed to play its part in the Government's 'Pathway to Zero Waste' initiative and to de-carbonise as many aspects of the construction process as possible.
- Creating Sustainable Places to Live, through energy- and water-efficient homes; renewable technologies; and the protection of water supplies, ecology and biodiversity.
- Attracting and Investing in Our People, by promoting diversity and inclusion and investing in our talented employees.
- Sustainable and Responsible Sourcing, with zero tolerance for human rights abuses and worker exploitation, as well as using only sustainably sourced certified timber and preferentially selecting certified wood based products.
Innovation and Development that helps improve build speed; respond to the skills crisis; improve health and safety; future-proof against material shortages; and reduce environmental impacts.
Our business makes a significant contribution to the communities within which we operate, through creation of jobs, payment of section 106 contributions, construction of community infrastructure and investment in local infrastructure. An infographic of our socio-economic contributions is available here.
Finally, this report and footprint are part of our ongoing conversation with stakeholders. We'd love to hear from you how we can improve the way we do things so please get in touch with your thoughts and ideas, or if you want more information - firstname.lastname@example.org